Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Apparently I'm a Hooker

I take my first bus ride alone last night to the I Park mall to go to a movie. I usually take the subway because I know where I'm going, but I was feeling adventurous. I get off the bus in Sinyongsan and I can see the mall a few blocks over. Instead of walking a block or so out of my way to the major intersection I deem it a good idea to go down a side alley. There are these curtainy things (kind of looks like you're at the car wash) blocking the alley, but I figured there was a Love Motel and that's why it was there (the curtains block the license plate numbers so spouses driving by won't recognize cars). No, not a love motel. I have entered (one of) the Red Light District of Seoul. I didn't even know they existed here!! There are ladies in lingerie in all of the windows and it's pretty well lit for such a place. I am one of the only people there, and certainly the only woman walking down the street. I am stopped by a well dressed 50-something man. He asks, in broken Korean, something about the next show. I tell him I'm not interested, just going to the mall. He keeps talking. He then pulls out a wad of cash and starts counting. "For me?" I ask. "Yes." I got propositioned to be a hooker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I be flattered or offended???? I'm wearing a fleece and jeans!! I don't look like a hooker do it? Ahh. To make matters worse, after I get out of there over to the mall some sketch little old Middle Eastern man asks where I'm going. Then asks if I like beer. Then continues to follow me. I pretend to get on my phone and think I have lost him. As soon as I hang up, there he is. I tell him to get lost and he says he just wants to get a beer with me. NOOOOO and I run inside. Ugh what the hell Seoul, I thought I was pretty safe from harassment here on account that I can't understand anyone and they can't understand me. Not so in Yongsan, not so.

No comments:

Post a Comment