Tuesday, April 6, 2010

i have locked myself in

I did it. Many months after I had planned (and a shorter distance) but I did it. I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon. That's 13 miles, 21 km, and I have given myself a 2 hour time limit! The money has been sent, it's a done deal. June 13th, baby.

While running 10 milers last May I figured I would move to Korea, keep up my running, and run a marathon this spring. ha! Little did I know that Korea promotes a drinking lifestyle. There is very little time for running. Or if there is time very little motivation due to a pounding head. But now that I am committed, I will do it. And I will do it fast! I think I'm currently running around a 9 minute mile, about 5 miles at a time. I want to get down to an 8 minute, but that may be too ambitious for June.

Anyway the race is really cool which is part of the reason I decided to do it. Not only is it 2 months away which gives me ample time to train (I've never run more than 10 miles at once before) but it's also on Jeju Island. Jeju is promoted at the "Hawaii of Korea." I think that may be a bit of a stretch, but it's worth checking out. It's only an hour flight and I'm pretty sure I can get a flight for less than $70.

I am covering a Friday class for my co-teacher Ben in April since he's getting married the following day, so he owes me a Monday class. June 14th I will be on the beach resting my weary legs with a mangorita! Happy Flag Day to me!

Nothing funny to report from school today. I know I keep saying this, but I really enjoy these kids. The day (all three hours of it!) just fly by. Two of my afteschool tutoring classes were cancelled for this week and next due to testing; boo. But I got home early and could catch up on facebook, so it's all good I guess.

Tomorrow it's off to Sincheon for some octopus dinner. Im taking Carolann (my new friend from Long Island. She's been here just over a month now and lives down the street. She's super fun and loves to go out, even at the risk of missing the bus every morning!) and Emily to the best dinner place that I went to when Jen was visitin. Octopus, veggies, gochujong, and mekju. You can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment