Monday, May 23, 2011

Thanks Recession

July 3rd, 2010, I met Paul Fiehler. Although our hometowns are only a state away, it took us 7,000 miles across the world to meet. We met, a little less than sober, at Sam Ryan's in Itaewon and decided instantly we liked one another and we should meet up the next day to celebrate July 4th. We had fun the 4th and decided we should meet the next evening, and then the next, and the next. This continued on everyday until now, 11 months later...except for that month I went home, but we just further proved how much we liked one another.

Sunday Paul and I walked up to the top of Namsan. As we stood at the top looking onto the city we've called home for the past year, Paul asked if I would be his India wife and pulled a ring out of his pocket.

We'd already decided we would have to pretend to be married in India/Nepal, for they don't rent hotels to those living in sin. But this is more than that. It's a sign of total commitment (as if moving to a foreign country together isn't?). We've been inviting people to our hypothetical wedding in Bali for weeks, but now I suppose it's a little less hypothetical :)

More on Paul. He's from Pittsburgh (eh, I know. He seems to like it though....), has a younger brother and sister and has been in Korea just about a year. We met after he'd only been here two weeks. He actually arrived the same day my parent's did. WOuldn't it be weird if they were on the same flight? (They weren't). He graduated U Michigan with double majors in English and Poly Sci with the ambition of going to law school. Worked a bit, nothing he loved, so decided to take a year off and come to Korea.

Enter me. Paul's the patient one, I'm the proactive one. After I decided I hate teaching (oh that took all of 3 minutes) and failing at finding a job here, Paul and I compromised on moving to Hong Kong. He really loves teaching and wants to make a career of it, and I decided I'll stay home and play housewife, I mean job hunt.

So yeah, that's where things stand now. Tots in Love.

1 comment: